Friday, April 12, 2013

Basque Style Chevon

Today was the day I was supposed to plant lettuce and spinach and peas in the garden. That has proven to be a challenge since my garden is buried under about 10 inches of snow and surrounded by huge snowbanks  piled up after the road plowing was finished. So no gardening today. Well, maybe a few melons in the basement.
Instead I decided to work on a new recipe using Chevon.   We recently had a goat butchered and I have been looking for some good, easy, Mediterranean style recipes. I often adapt lamb recipes and that is the case here. I used about half the meat called for in the original recipe and added chickpeas since we are trying to eat more legumes and less meat. I also used my own homemade white wine vinegar instead of  dry white wine in the marinade.This is a good time of year to be using up all the delicious things you stashed in the freezer last summer so I used frozen roasted Sweet Italian Peppers and Tomatoes. I have included a link to the original recipe from a site I like called Simply Recipes.
The Basque live on the border between Spain and France and according to Encyclopedia Britannica raise sheep, cattle and apples. I am not sure how truly Basque this recipe is.





Basque Style Chevon
 1 lb goat shoulder, cut into 1 inch pieces
For the marinade:
3 cloves garlic
1 sprig rosemary, or more to taste, chopped
1/4 cup artisan white wine vinegar (do not use commercial vinegar which has too strong a flavor)

Combine the lamb and the marinade ingredients in a medium glass bowl. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours. Drain, discard the marinade, and pat the meat dry with a paper towel so it will brown well.

2 T extra virgin olive oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 large onion, peeled and chopped
1 T sweet paprika
3 Fire Roasted Sweet Italian Peppers (frozen)
1 large ripe tomato (frozen), peeled, seeded and chopped
1 cup cooked chickpeas with cooking liquid (optional)
2 T chopped fresh parsley (I some I froze last summer)
1 bay leaf
1 cup dry, full bodied red wine
1 cup chicken stock
Salt and pepper to taste

Heat olive oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pan with lid, over medium-high heat. Brown the meat on all sides being careful not to crowd the pan, about 10 minutes.

Remove the meat from the pan and add the onions to the pan. Saute, scraping the pan, until onions are soft, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute more. Return meat to pan and add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer, covered until meat is tender, about 2 hours, stirring occasionally.

Enjoy with a crusty loaf of bread and a rich red wine.

Adapted from Basque Lamb Stew






No comments:

Post a Comment